mood: caffeinated
pandora/ipod: "holiday road" from national lampoon's vacation
The Girlfriends' Cyber Circuit is a web ring of YA authors which I've recently had the great honor to join. Check these posts for the latest releases!
IN HONOR
A devastating loss leads to an unexpected road trip in this novel from the author of Moonglass, whose voice Sarah Dessen says "is fresh and wise, all at once."
Hours after her brother’s military funeral, Honor opens the last letter Finn ever sent. In her grief, she interprets his note as a final request and spontaneously decides to go to California to fulfill it.
Honor gets as far as the driveway before running into Rusty, Finn’s best friend since third grade and his polar opposite. She hasn’t seen Rusty in ages, but it’s obvious he is as arrogant and stubborn as ever—not to mention drop-dead gorgeous. Despite Honor’s better judgment, the two set off together on a voyage from Texas to California. Along the way, they find small and sometimes surprising ways to ease their shared loss and honor Finn’s memory—but when shocking truths are revealed at the end of the road, will either of them be able to cope with the consequences?
~~~~~~~~~~
Jessi Kirby is a former English teacher and librarian. She lives in Orange County, CA with her husband and two kids, where she writes stories and runs the beach every day. Well, almost every day.
~~~~~~~~~~
In addition to being an awesome writer, Jessi is an awesome friend of mine, so I'm doubly excited to spotlight her book!
ME: What are your favorite and least favorite parts of the writing "process"?
Jessi: Most favorite--the shiny new idea stage, where all I'm doing is thinking up scenes and jotting notes and it's all wide open possibility. Least favorite--drafting. Most days, that part of it is painful and slow for me. Judy Blume said it best when she talked about wishing someone could just go in and grab the first draft out of her head and plunk it down in front of her so she could start revising.
ME: What was the main inspiration for this book?
Jessi: I wanted to write a brother and sister story and look at the concept of devotion and honor, and it just kind of grew from there.
ME: Who would you cast if your book was made into a movie?
Jessi: Ooh, that's a tough one! I was picturing Taylor Swift as Honor when I wrote it, but I could also see Elle Fanning or maybe Shailene Woodley
FAST FIVE:
Pie or Cake? Cake. Preferably rich chocolate.
Coffee or Tea? Coffee!
Mac or PC? PC.
Guilty Pleasure? Salted dark chocolate with a glass of red wine.
Can't live without? Coffee.
Thanks, Jessi! *blows kisses*


Really looking forward to this one, I loved Moonglass. Also, salted dark chocolate is amazing.
ReplyDeleteI wish someone could just go in and grab the tenth draft out of my head and plunk it down in front of me. Except, sometimes it takes me a lot more than ten. Hmm.
ReplyDeleteGreat interview, thanks, ladies!