Monday, May 3, 2010

Spreading the Awesome: ASH by Malinda Lo

mood: dancy
pandora/ipod: "because the night" by 10,000 maniacs

When Elana Johnson first sent out her "Spreading the Awesome" email calling for a blog chain promoting a book we adore, I immediately thought of Malinda Lo's ASH. Like instantly.

And it's not just because we're both members of The Enchanted Inkpot. And it's not just because I've met her and she's 10 kinds of awesome. Nope, it's that ASH was one of the most important books I read in 2009 and I wanted to - literally - spread the awesome.

ASH has racked up an impressive number of honors. Amazing reviews from:


Kirkus
The New York Times
Booklist
School Library Journal
Publisher's Weekly

ASH made more library recommended reading lists than I can count and it has also been a finalist for:


Lambda Literary Award
Northern California Book Awards
Andre Norton Award for Young Adult Science Fiction and Fantasy (winner announced at the Nebula Awards in just two weeks!!!!)
and last but not least,
the William C. Morris YA Debut Award

Yeah, I know. That's the resume. Obviously we have an impressive piece of literature here. But that's not why I wanted to promote ASH today. To me, ASH is one of the most important books I've read in a long time for one reason: in the fantasy world of ASH, homosexuality is accepted.

Right? Crazy awesome, isn't it?

If you've read my blog for awhile, you'll know by now that I'm a vocal proponent of LGBTQ rights and issues. I'm a long-time supporter of The Trevor Project and I have a lot of friends in the gay and lesbian community. In addition, I grew up in the San Francisco Bay Area which is arguably one of the most gay-friendly cities in the world.

But even then, even growing up one of the most liberal places on the planet, there are labels. "Gay." "Lesbian." "Homosexual." What blew my mind about ASH was the utter lack of labels, of pigeonholing, of classifying people based on sexual orientation. When Ash chooses to be with a huntress instead of marrying the prince, it's not a coming out story. She is allowed to fall in love with whomever because in this fairy tale world, there is no stigma of homosexuality. ASH is not a coming out story: it's just a love story.

To me, this is the goal of real acceptance and equality. A world where people can be, where we are not defined by issues of gender and religion, race and sexual orientation.

I'm going to get off my soapbox now. :D


GIVEAWAY!!!!

So as part of my spreading of the awesome, I'm giving away a copy of ASH.

Entry details: in addition to being a follower of my blog, to enter the ASH giveaway, comment on this post with a link to an inspiring LGBTQ story or a link to an LGBTQ non-profit website with your commentary on why you think either is important. Winner will be announced on Friday!

~~~~~~~~~~

There's a whole slew of us participating in today's Spreading of Awesomeness. Elana Johnson has the entire list of posts on her blog, and I'd also like to point you towards Sherrie Peterson who is writing about MARCELLO IN THE REAL WORLD by Francisco X. Stork (and totally making me want to run out and buy that book ASAP!)

24 comments:

  1. This book sounds great! And the cover is incredible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to read this book! Fantastic review -- thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the great review. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. YAY for ASH, Malinda Lo & You! (And another tossed in for Inkies.) I loved this book because of its gorgeous fairy-tale prose & *yes* the non-issue of an issue book! Hooray GLBT acceptance (as opposed to "tolerance," which would be the bare minimum). Sort of "Why NOT an African-American president?" or "Why NOT a female CEO?" so "Why NOT the huntress instead of a prince?"

    Proud to be an advocate for GLBTQ youth and True Colors: http://www.ourtruecolors.org

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dawn, AWESOME LINK! /bootay shake!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover and the title. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This book sounds awesome! I with there were more LGBTQ YA books out there.
    And this one looks AWESOME!!! How can i not love a book with a huntress in it?

    Here's a linkk to our local nonprofit LGBT group:
    http://www.rainbowoutreach.org/

    I want this book!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great book - I was checking it out recently..definitely on my TO READ list now.

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great review! I met Malinda last year at SCBWI, but I haven't had a chance to read this book yet. Even if I don't win it from you, I'll have to go buy it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. sounds like an incredible story - definitely on my TBR list!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The cover is so pretty. I would love to try Ash. It's something new. And wow. It has been a finalist for so many awards. I can smell a must-read! Please inlcude me in the giveaway only if it's open internationally. Thanks!

    precious_shusky@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great review. I keep getting drawn to the cover of this book everytime I go into a bookshop. Now I will have to buy it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been wanting to read this for a WHILE.

    My LGBTQ non-profit organization to share is www.thetrevorproject.org.

    It's important because the Trevor Project runs a GLBTQ suicide prevention hotline.

    Travis
    spongyman1026@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fab review! I've heard such great things a bout this book. I can't really think of any inspirational LGBTQ stories off the top of my head, except perhaps to say that I'm loving the acceptance and success of Will Grayson, Will Grayson right now.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm a new follower. Thanks for the awesome recommendation - I'm adding it to my wish list! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Travis! Yay for Trevor! My best friend is a councellor for them!!! And Carloina, yes - Will Grayson, Will Grayson is another fantastic LGBTQ recommendation!

    I'm loving all the love on here.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a gorgeous book cover, but what really makes me want to read it is your description of an accepting world. That is the way I'd like to see our world. I'm a new follower--thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post -- what a fabulous way to get the word out about this book. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful post - that book sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Sounds like an interesting book. I love that cover. Thanks for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I've heard so much about this book! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A world like that sounds wonderful. I hope this counts as a link. Months ago, I wrote a post about teaching fifth-graders and a conversation about homosexuality when a child brought it up. Unbeknownst to all of them, one of the other students has two dads. It's one of my proudest moments.

    Here's the link:
    http://theresamilstein.blogspot.com/2010/01/raised-right.html

    ReplyDelete
  23. Here's a LGBTQ novel:
    http://sararyan.com/publications/empress/

    aikychien at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  24. I've got a copy downstairs and haven't had time to read it yet. My must reads took over my life so I'm not even researching right now, let alone writing. Grrrr.

    ReplyDelete